This list originally was compiled for Windows 7, however Windows Vista, 7 all are based on the same code base (Longhorn) and the issues presented are consistent for all versions.
We have another list of games with known issues from Windows 8.
We have many old games. Unfortunately some games are not compatible with Windows 7 SP1 while others of the same period are. The main problem is the use of a 16-bit installer will fail as Windows Vista and higher no longer support them.
If you need backwards compatibility its possible to dual boot. The old MBR allows for 4 primary partitions or the BIOS can be used to select the desired disk to boot. Our Corsair chassis can use 4 hard disks so using multiple drives is another option. The BIOS on modern machines can select the desired hard disk to be the primary.
Securom, Macromedia, Starforce, Tagès and other protection systems are being rejected by W10 for security reasons (KB3086255). This will affect thousands of games. We have successfully moved many games into Steam or Origin. There is no indication that Sony will fix their SECDRV.SYS so that it works within the security model in Windows 10. VirtualBox does not yet work with Windows 10 but its possible to dual boot.
- 2K Games has released a compatibility chart.
- Age of Mythology
- Aliens vs. Predator: Colonial Marines (game restarts in a repeating loop)
- Aquanox (steam version needs to be run with XP compatibility)
- Aquanox 2: Revelation (steam version needs to be run with XP compatibility)
- Avengers Alliance
- Battlefield 2142
- Black Dahlia
- Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
- Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Dirt Showdown)
- Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies
- Cry of Fear
- Crysis Warhead (SecureROM error, run the repair in Origin)
- Defense Grid : The Awakening
- Drakensang: The River of Time
- Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project
- Gotham City Imposters: Free to Play
- Grand Theft Auto (first one)
- Halo 2 for Windows Vista (cd key will not activate, exceeded usage)
- Just Cause
- Just Cause 2
- Links 2003
- Metal of Honor : Airborne
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X
- Motocross Madness 2
- Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
- Painkiller Black Edition
- Quake III Arena
- Rainbow Six
- Red Faction
- Rise of Nations
- Shadowgrounds: Survivor
- The Sims 2
- Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
- Splinter Cell: Double Agent
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Saga
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs Tie Fighter: Balance of Power
- Stronghold HD
- Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
- Tron 2.0 (game restarts in a repeating loop)
- Unreal Tournament 2003
- VirtualBox (manager does not start)
THIS LIST ASSUMES NO IT SKILLS SO ANY ERROR ARISES IT IS LISTED
It seems that the CD check problems are affecting a lot of older titles. We moved several old classic games to steam which mitigated the problem to some extent.
NB: you need to manually add vpk files to be associated with Steam. With explorer, find any vpk file and right click on it. The select open with and select steam.exe which will eliminate problems with Windows 10.
The Steam backup also does not like using the root of a drive, it demands a subfolder. This is another defect. We uses BD, NAS and servers and expect that many other use something similar.
FIX STEAM GAMES
See our page to fix Steam games which has general information of help. This list of games was compiled from games that became problematic with Windows 10.
This list of games with issues.
GAMES WITH ISSUES
Steam timeout errors can partially be resolved by changing the download location. Clearly Steam needs faster servers to deal with activations. We estimate it took over 5 time longer to restore games than expected. Steam needs to also fix their client to allow game updates to be installed only in the maintenance window and allow activations to override so that game disks and backups work properly.
Origin does not have any maintenance window at all. It is hardcoded to download constantly. EA needs to add a maintenance window so that updates can be installed during the night when a gamer is sleeping.
Quake 2 will fail using the autorun installer. Install from the setup located in the install folder of the CD. Then the game will install fine.
Unreal will run if using the Anthology which has the gold edition. It appears some problems caused the original game to fail to install.