Metro 2033 was released March 16, 2010 by THQ. The game was developed by 4A Games. Metro 2033 is a strategic first person shooter.
Artyom is the protagonist in Metro 2033. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic Moscow, mostly inside the metro system where the player’s character was raised.
Even more lethal is the surface, it’s severely irradiated and a gas mask must be worn at all times due to the toxic air. Searching for spare filters is vital. Often, locations have an intricate layout, and the game lacks any form of map, leaving the player to try and find their objectives only through a compass. Creatures abound outside that have become adapted to the environment.
Artyom must travel through territory occupied by Soviets and Nazis, and infested with mutants. Once in Polis, he meets with a Ranger named Miller, who agrees to help him. Miller knows of a missile silo known as D6 that has the firepower necessary to destroy the Dark Ones. Artyom, Miller, and several other Rangers reactivate the command center for the missiles, and Artyom installs a laser guidance system on a nearby building. After the laser system is installed, Artyom experiences a vivid hallucination induced by the Dark Ones.
Due to the scarcity of resources scavenging becomes important. The player can loot corpses and search the environment for spare ammunition, as well as weapons and other things. The military-grade ammo can be used to purchase other ammunition, weapons, and items within most of the Metro stations. Gasmasks can also be taken to replace damaged ones etc.
The game’s locations reflect the dark atmosphere of real Moscow metro tunnels, with added horror elements. Strange phenomena and noises are common, and mostly the player has to rely only on the rechargeable flashlight to find the way around in otherwise total darkness. The charger is an antique hand cranked relic that evokes the cold war era.
Metro 2033 has a very good look and feel for the general environment of Moscow that it brings a level of realism to the game. Most of the game is played in the tunnels which is typical of all most FPS games.
- Location post-apocalyptic Moscow, the life of humanity gleams in metro (subway) tunnels, and the stations turned into small states with different political regimes.
- Variety of gameplay styles possibility to play as a heavy strike fighter, as an inconspicuous killer.
- A player, who attentively follows the events in the game world, will find out ways to influence the advance of the plot and may reach the non-standard end. Besides the basic plot, there is a variety of non-obligatory tasks.
- In station-cities it is possible to meet as fighters, as peaceful citizens and the station lives its own life independent from player. Children run and play among dwellings, adults are busy with different businesses women cook meals, sew; men have discussions, clean weapons, drink tea or home-brew, read books; old people seat near tents.
- The high-level AI is similar to real people actions. The enemies may conduct simple and aimed fire, avoid line of fire, hide in covers, ambush and attack suddenly, call for help, and mention a character hidden in shadow.
- A number of various anomalies: gravitation distortion, energy clot (looking at some of which the character may perish), intelligent immaterial images, which punish with death for any aggression at their presence and many other, the role of which will be discovered only before the game release.
- Ammo = money. Fire off money or be economic, use tactics.
- DirectX 9, 10, 11 are all supported
The benchmarks are located here.
We dug up a map of the Moscow subway system as this is where the game is set. The map is in Russian with English transliterations for your convenience. All of zones in the game are indicated so that its easier to envision the game from down in the tunnels.